Tuesday, November 26, 2013

2013 Christmas Planner

I have been searching for the Christmas planner that would work best for me, and after figuring out what I needed in it, I decided to make one myself. 

For the covers and divider pages I used the Lori Whitlock Planner Cover and Tabs digital cutting file.  I just uploaded them to my Silhouette Cameo and resized them to the size I needed, 8x5.  For the insert pages I just made something using the Microsoft Word program I had on my computer.  I am sad I couldn't make any of the cute pages I saw on my searches, but they will come in very handy.  If anyone has any suggestions on any other programs that I can use to make lists, calendar pages, and planner pages I would really appreciate it.  Maybe it will go on my wishlist for Christmas!

The paper that I used for this project is from the Heidi Swapp Believe collection.  I am so glad that I found the paper pad at my local Hobby Lobby because they are awesome!

I wanted to show the side view of this planner.  No tabs sticking out from the covers, getting caught on things or bent!  I love it!

I think the hardest part was trying to figure out how I wanted to label my divider pages.  In my planner there are 12 different sections, that number would probably be different for everyone depending on what sections they would want included.  The sections included in mine are:  Calendar, To-Do's, Gifts to Buy, Stocking Stuffers, My Wishlist, Handmade Gifts, Cards to Send, Christmas Baking, Menu Planner, Shopping Lists, Notes, and Staying on Budget.

I remembered that I had some Project Life grid cards so I just used a paper punch to make tags,  I wrote each section name on each tag and adhered them on.  So simple!

Here is an example of one of my insert pages.

I also wanted a place to keep all of my receipts together so I found a pocket folder file on the silhouette store, the Lori Whitlock One Pocket Folder that I used to make storage for the receipts.

I will definitely be prepared for Christmas now that I have my planner.  Now all that is left is finishing my Countdown to Christmas book.  Hopefully I will be able to finish that in the next few days.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Personalized Crown Royal Bottle Soap Dispensers

Lately I have found myself saving all the glass bottles and jars that we use in my house.  While going through them today I decided that the crown royal bottles would make good soap dispensers for my bathrooms!  They look better than the plastic bottles that were already in there.

While I was letting the bottles soak, to easily remove the labels, I thought that the bottles have enough room that I would be able to monogram them with our initial.  So I brought the initial up in the silhouette studio and sized it to fit on the front of the bottle.

While the initials were cutting, I removed the labels and used a little acetone to wipe down the areas where the labels were to ensure there was no glue residue left.

While the bottles were drying I trimmed the initial and put transfer paper, for glass etching I use contact paper to cut the stencil and for the transfer paper, on top for easier placement on the bottles.

I centered the initial the best I could and removed the clear contact paper.

I put a coat of Armour Etch on the stencil and let them set for about 5 minutes.  I them rinsed each bottle and removed the  stencil.

Here are the finished bottles before I added the soap and pumps.  I found that the larger soft soap pumps work great for these bottles.  

This is the soap dispenser I made for my kitchen.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ready For Fall

Since the cooler weather is making an appearance around here I decided it was time to decorate for fall!

After seeing this great Fall word art on the Silhouette design studio, I knew that it would be a great addition to my mantel.  I wanted to keep the colors simple so I stuck with a dark brown and white.

Mason jars are everywhere these days, especially the painted and distressed ones.  I thought that they would look awesome in fall colors with some pretty flowers added to them.

I looked at some of the tutorials that people had shared on Pinterest and thought to myself that I should be able to make them too.  I picked out fall colors, orange, brown, and a foliage green to paint them.  The green jar did really well, but I had to work on the brown and orange for a while.  Once the paint dried I used a nail file to distress the jars, then sprayed a clear coat to give some protection to the paint.

I added some greenery and sunflowers, which are my favorite, to complete them. I think that I did pretty good for my first try!

I added an Owl wine cork holder, that I just bought when we went on vacation last week, to the mantel.  

Here is my "Ready For Fall" mantel!