Friday, May 31, 2013

DIY Wall Art

I have been getting a little tired of looking at the bare walls in my house, so little by little I am making different things to decorate.  I started with my bedroom, I wanted something different and unique and that would match the colors in there.

I started off with a blank 16 x 20 canvas, luckily I had several of these in my craft closet.  The only thing that I had to buy was one of the colors of paint, which cost me $1.15.  I used painters tape to make the design and used a gift card to get all the bubbles out from the tape if there was any.


Since I have a large area I made three pictures to hang above the bed.  I didn't want them to be uniform, I wanted them all different. 


Then the paining began.  I just used a sponge brush to paint the canvases.  It took 2 to three coats of paint to get the colors to be just right.


Here are all three canvases after 2 coats, 3 for the middle, of paint.  After they were almost dry I painted the sides, which I really should have done first.  I will definately remember that for any others that I may make.

The colors I used are Lilac, Espresso Bean, and Rainy Day Gray.


Here they are after they dried and I removed the tape.  They aren't perfect, there were a few places that the tape came up and paint got under.  I was just going to let it go, but my ocd kicked in and I had to get the white paint out and fix it.


Here is the finished project.  I am very happy with the way they turned out and for me to only spend $1.15 out of pocket for it was even better.  The whole project only took 2 hours from start to hanging them.  Thank goodness I was able to use supplies that I had gotten from family to make this.


No comments:

Post a Comment